PM paid tribute to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam on his Jayanti
GS I- Personalities in News
Dimensions of the Article:
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam: A Remarkable Life
- Books Written by APJ Abdul Kalam
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam: A Remarkable Life
- Early Life: Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam was born to Jainulabdeen, a boat owner and Imam, and Ashiamma, a housewife. He had four brothers and a sister, all elder to him.
- Education: Kalam attended a school in Ramanathapuram and earned a degree in Physics from Saint Joseph’s College, Tiruchirappalli. In 1955, he pursued aerospace engineering at the Madras Institute of Technology.
- Scientific Career: Kalam began his career as a scientist at the Aeronautical Development Establishment of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). He also worked under the guidance of eminent scientist Vikram Sarabhai.
- ISRO Involvement: In 1969, Kalam was transferred to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). At ISRO, he served as the Project Director of the satellite launch vehicle (SLV) that successfully deployed India’s first satellite, Rohini, into orbit in 1980. He also contributed to the development of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- “Missile Man of India”: Kalam gained the moniker “Missile Man of India” for his significant contributions to ballistic missile technology.
- Key Roles: From 1992 to 1999, he served as the Chief Scientific Adviser to the Prime Minister and the Secretary of DRDO. Kalam was the Chief Project Coordinator during the Pokhran II nuclear tests, significantly raising his profile.
- Presidential Tenure: In 2002, Abdul Kalam was elected as the 11th President of India. He was the first scientist to hold this position and also the first bachelor President. His presidency, which extended to a full term until 2007, was marked by his close connection with the people, earning him the title of the “People’s President.”
- Post-Presidential Life: After his presidency, Kalam became a visiting professor at various prestigious institutions, including IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Shillong, IIM Indore, the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, and Anna University.
- Passing: Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam passed away due to a cardiac arrest while delivering a lecture at IIM Shillong on July 27, 2015. His death was met with widespread grief, and the Indian government declared a 7-day state mourning in his honor.
Books Written by APJ Abdul Kalam
|India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium|
Wings of Fire
Ignited Minds: Unleashing the Power within India
Transcendence: My Spiritual Experiences with Pramukh Swamiji
A Manifesto for Change: A Sequel to India 2020