Editorials/Opinions Analysis For UPSC 13 July 2022
- ‘Lavender Scare’ and NASA
- The Great Sri Lankan Crisis
- NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, which will show the clearest-ever images of the universe, is set to bring about a change in the way we perceive space.
- However, the telescope’s name has come under intense criticism from the LGBTQ community.
- The telescope has been named after James Webb, who ran the US space agency from 1961 to 1968, and allegedly had a role to play in the “Lavender Scare” at NASA.
- GS Paper – 1 Social Empowerment
- GS Paper – 2 Issues Related to Transgenders
Examine the role played by the judiciary in protecting and promoting the rights of the LGBT community.
Click Here To Read More: ‘Lavender Scare’ and NASA
Anti-government sentiment in various parts of Sri Lanka has resulted in political instability. It is fueled by anti-government protests and public demonstrations in response to the country’s economic crisis. The Sri Lankan economy has been in crisis as a result of a severe Balance of Payments (BoP) problem. Its foreign exchange reserves are rapidly depleting, making it increasingly difficult for the country to import essential consumer goods.
Prime Minister Wickremesinghe and President Gotabaya Rajapaksa both indicated their willingness to step down, paving the way for an all-party government to take over.
GS Paper 2: International relations: India and its neighbourhood
India’s “Neighborhood First” policy can go the extra mile to assist Sri Lanka in its current crisis. Justify your position.
Click Here To Read More: The Great Sri Lankan Crisis