The third meeting of the G20 Digital Economy Working Group (DEWG) commenced in Pune, Maharashtra with the inauguration of the Global DPI (Digital Public Infrastructure) Summit and Exhibition.
GS III: Indian Economy
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Digital Public Infrastructure
- Highlights of the Summit
- About One Future Alliance
- During the session, the focus was on discussing the common principles and design elements of Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI). The session covered aspects such as open standards, partnerships, interoperability, and affordability.
- India has proposed the establishment of One Future Alliance, an alliance of countries that share similar goals. This alliance aims to leverage technology to enhance the lives of people by promoting collaboration among member nations.
- The Digital Economy Working Group (DEWG) plays a crucial role in shaping global policy discussions in the digital domain. It is estimated that the global digital economy will be valued at USD 23 trillion by 2025, highlighting the significance of the DEWG’s work.
- Originally known as the Digital Economy Task Force (DETF), the DEWG was formed in 2017 under the German G20 presidency. Its primary objective is to encourage the implementation of a secure, interconnected, and inclusive digital economy on a global scale.
About Digital Public Infrastructure
Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) is a collection of platforms and systems that enable the delivery of essential services to people, promoting digital inclusion and empowering citizens. It encompasses various components that facilitate the flow of people, money, and information. Here are key aspects of DPI:
- DPI includes a digital ID system that enables the secure and efficient identification of individuals in the digital realm.
- This system allows for seamless authentication and verification processes, enhancing access to services and enabling digital interactions.
- DPI incorporates a real-time fast payment system that facilitates swift and convenient financial transactions.
- This infrastructure enables individuals and businesses to transfer funds quickly and securely, fostering economic activities and financial inclusion.
Data Exchange Solutions:
- DPI encompasses a consent-based data sharing system that governs the flow of personal information.
- This system ensures that individuals have control over their data and can choose how and when their information is shared.
- By empowering citizens with data control, DPI enables the realization of its benefits while ensuring privacy and security.
India’s DPI Implementation (India Stack):
- India has been a pioneer in developing a comprehensive DPI ecosystem known as India Stack.
- India Stack includes three foundational DPI components: digital identity (Aadhaar), real-time fast payment (UPI), and account aggregation built on the Data Empowerment and Protection Architecture (DEPA).
- DEPA establishes a digital framework that allows users to share their data on their own terms through consent managers, which are third-party entities.
- This approach ensures privacy, security, and user control over data while facilitating the seamless flow of information.
Highlights of the Summit:
India’s Exemplary DPI Implementation:
- India was recognized as a successful case for the implementation of Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI) and digital transformation.
- The country’s achievements in scaling up digital solutions through the India Stack were highlighted.
- India signed Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) with Armenia, Sierra Leone, and Suriname to share its successful digital solutions with these countries.
Focus on Digital Identity:
- The session emphasized the role of digital identity as a foundational element for national priorities and social cohesion.
- Different models of implementation, such as centralized, federated, and decentralized, were discussed.
- Notable examples of successful digital identity systems, including India’s Aadhaar and the Philippine’s PhilSys, were highlighted.
Facilitating Inclusive Digital Payments:
- The role of DPI in enabling fast and inclusive digital payments was a key topic of discussion.
- Conversations covered various aspects such as settlement types, risk management, user onboarding costs, and using DPI to bridge the financial divide.
Implementation of DPI in Judicial Systems:
- The session explored the implementation of DPI in judicial systems, focusing on digitization efforts in the legal sector.
- Topics discussed included e-court systems, e-filing, paperless courts, and live streaming of proceedings.
- The importance of establishing appropriate institutions and regulations to build trust in DPI-powered judiciary systems was highlighted.
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Mutual Recognition Framework:
- The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Government of India, released a Draft PKI Mutual Recognition Framework.
- This framework aims to lead the implementation and adoption of India’s DPI beyond the country’s borders.
- The framework outlines guidelines for recognizing and trusting digital identities and certificates issued by different countries.
About One Future Alliance
One Future Alliance is a collaborative alliance of countries aiming to utilize technology for the improvement of people’s lives. The key features of the alliance are as follows:
Leveraging Technology for Development:
- The alliance seeks to harness the potential of technology to drive social, economic, and sustainable development.
- By sharing knowledge and collaborating, member countries can effectively leverage technology for the betterment of their citizens.
- One Future Alliance emphasizes building upon existing open-source customizable stacks.
- Countries are encouraged to innovate and customize these solutions to address their specific needs and challenges.
Embracing Technological Advancements:
- The alliance recognizes the evolving nature of technology, including the power of artificial intelligence and multilingual capabilities.
- It aims to implement and advance Digital Public Infrastructure (DPI), which includes digital identity, payment infrastructure, and data exchange solutions.
Cooperation in Cybersecurity and Digital Skilling:
- One Future Alliance promotes cooperation among member countries in areas such as cybersecurity and digital skilling.
- By sharing expertise and best practices, countries can enhance their cybersecurity measures and develop skilled digital workforce.
-Source: The Hindu