Eight years after its inception, the Ministry of Education is gearing up to restart the fourth phase of the Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN).
GS II: Education
Dimensions of the Article:
- Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) in Higher Education
- Significance of GIAN Programme
Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) in Higher Education
- GIAN, the Global Initiative of Academic Networks in Higher Education, was launched in 2015 and is a program under the Ministry of Education in India.
- The primary aim of GIAN is to tap into the global talent pool of scientists and entrepreneurs, encouraging their active involvement with higher education institutions in India.
- This engagement is intended to enhance India’s existing academic resources, accelerate the pace of quality reform, and elevate the nation’s scientific and technological capabilities to global excellence.
- GIAN has several key objectives, including:
- Enhancing the quality of higher education through international collaboration.
- Increasing the presence of esteemed international faculty members in Indian academic institutions.
- Infusing international academic excellence into India’s higher education establishments.
- Augmenting India’s existing academic resources and boosting the country’s scientific and technological prowess to attain global eminence.
- Nodal Agency:
- IIT Kharagpur serves as the nodal agency for the implementation of GIAN.
- GIAN offers an honorarium to foreign experts, covering their travel and associated expenses.
- Short-term courses are conducted by these international experts or faculties in Indian educational institutions.
- While initially focused on collaboration between India and the United States of America, the program’s scope has since expanded.
- The duration of GIAN courses varies, with a minimum duration of one week and a maximum duration of three weeks.
- Foreign experts can receive a lump-sum amount, ranging up to US$ 8,000 for 12 to 14 hours of contact and up to US$ 12,000 for 20 to 28 hours of contact, covering their travel and honorarium expenses.
Significance of GIAN Programme
The Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) programme has significant importance due to several key factors:
- International Expertise: GIAN allows Indian educational institutions to access a wealth of international expertise by bringing in foreign faculty members. These experts contribute to enhancing the quality of education and research in India.
- Global Collaboration: The programme fosters international collaboration between Indian institutions and universities and experts from various countries, promoting academic exchange and knowledge sharing.
- Diverse Course Offerings: GIAN offers a wide range of courses delivered by foreign faculty, covering diverse fields of study. This diversity enriches the educational experience for Indian students.
- Exposure to Global Perspectives: Indian students benefit from exposure to different teaching methodologies, perspectives, and global best practices, which can enhance their academic and professional development.
- Financial Investment: The significant financial investment made by the Central government, amounting to ₹126 crore, demonstrates the commitment to improving the quality of education in India through international engagement.
- Broad Reach: GIAN has reached a large number of educational institutions and students across the country. A substantial number of courses were conducted in prestigious institutions like IITs and NITs, ensuring a broad impact.
- Benefit for Indian Students: The programme directly benefits Indian students, as approximately 72,000 students have gained knowledge and insights from the foreign faculty members, enriching their educational experience.
-Source: Indian Express