Recently, the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) Secretary launched the ‘Graphene-Aurora program’ at a function in Maker Village Kochi, Kerala.
GS II: Government policies and Interventions
Dimensions of the Article:
- Graphene-Aurora Program
- Graphene: Remarkable Properties and Characteristics
- The Graphene-Aurora Program is set to be executed by Digital University Kerala.
- Joint funding will come from the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY), the Government of Kerala, and industry partners.
- Carborundum Pvt Limited has emerged as a prominent industry participant.
- The program aims to foster the growth of deep/emerging Graphene technology and innovation ecosystem.
- It envisions providing guidance, development, implementation, and support to SMEs and startups in the commercialization of graphene technologies.
- By establishing a commercialization eco-system for graphene, India seeks to establish a prominent position in the global market for new materials.
- The program aims to facilitate the scale adoption of developed graphene technologies, contributing to India’s prominence in the emerging technology landscape.
Graphene: Remarkable Properties and Characteristics
Source and Composition:
- Graphene is derived from graphite and consists solely of carbon atoms.
- It’s a fundamental element present in everyday items, such as pencil lead.
- Acknowledged as the thinnest material globally, it boasts incredible strength and exceptional conductivity in both heat and electricity.
- Surpasses copper in electrical conductivity, making it an outstanding conductor.
- Remarkably, it is 200 times stronger than steel while being six times lighter.
Transparency and Impermeability:
- Graphene exhibits near-perfect transparency, permitting only a mere 2% light absorption.
- It possesses unparalleled gas impermeability, even blocking gases as lightweight as hydrogen and helium.