Focus: GS II: Government policies and Intervention
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs said that the sale of gold jewellery mandates a Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID) from April 1, 2023.
Hallmark Unique Identification:
- The Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID) is a 6-digit alphanumeric code that is given to every piece of jewellery during the hallmarking process.
- The code is unique for every piece of jewellery and is manually stamped on it at Assaying & Hallmarking centres.
- The HUID consists of numbers and letters.
- The previous HUID used to be 4 digits, but now both 4 and 6-digit codes are used in the market.
- Starting from April 1st, 2023, only 6-digit alphanumeric codes will be allowed.
- The BIS Hallmark has three symbols – BIS logo, Purity/Fineness Grade, and a six-digit alphanumeric code, which includes the HUID.
- The authenticity of hallmarked jewellery can be checked using the ‘verify HUID’ feature on the BIS Care App.
Bureau of Indian Standards:
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is the National Standards Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016.
- Its primary objective is to ensure the harmonious development of standardisation and quality assurance of goods and articles.
- BIS works under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
- It represents India in international standardisation bodies such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).