Why in news?
Supreme court has supported the move of demolishing restaurants near Hampi by Karnataka government
The directions under The Mysore Ancient and Historical Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act of 1961 was followed by Karnataka Government
More about Hampi:
- Modern era Group of Monuments at Hampi site in Ballari district and others in and around that district in Karnataka, India.
- Located on the bank of Tungabhadra river(A tributary of Krishna), is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- It was the capital city during the four different dynasties of Vijayanagara kingdom.
- King Krishnadeva Raya of the Tuluva Dynasty was one of the greatest emperor of Vijayanagara kingdom.
- Around 1500 CE, Hampi-Vijayanagara was the world’s second-largest medieval-era city after Beijing
- An ongoing war between Muslim Sultanates and the Hindu Vijayanagara Empire led to the Battle of Talikota in 1565 CE
- The Italian Cesare Federici writing two years after the empire’s defeat states that “The Cities of Bezeneger (Vijayanagara) is not altogether destroyed, yet the houses stand still, but empty, and there is dwelling in them nothing, as is reported, but Tygres and other wild beasts”