Focus: GS-I Art and Culture, Prelims
Why in news?
Due to the COVID-19 Lockdown International Yoga Day 2020 is set to go digital internationally.
International Yoga Day
- International Yoga Day is observed on June 21 of every year since the United Nations declared it in 2015.
- Yoga is inscribed in the list of UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity of India.
- The day of 21st June was suggested by the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his address to the UN because it is the longest day of the year (Summer Solstice).
- International Yoga Day aims to raise awareness worldwide of the many benefits of practicing yoga.
- Yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India.
Additional Note: Summer Solstice
In the Northern Hemisphere, the summer solstice occurs on June 21 with the longest period of daylight. The Northern Hemisphere is tilted towards the sun and the rays of the sun fall directly on the Tropic of Cancer.