Focus: GS-III Indian Economy
Why in news?
Union Home Minister conveyed greetings to mark the International Youth Day.
International Youth Day (IYD)
- International Youth Day (IYD), observed on August 12, is an awareness day designated by the UN.
- The purpose of the day is to draw attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youngsters.
- The theme of International Youth Day 2020 is – “Youth Engagement for Global Action”.
- The Theme seeks to highlight the ways in which the engagement of young people at the local, national and global levels is enriching national and multilateral institutions and processes, as well as draw lessons on how their representation and engagement in formal institutional politics can be significantly enhanced.
This year’s IYD seeks to put the spotlight on youth engagement through the following three interconnected streams:
- Engagement at the local/community level;
- Engagement at the national level (formulation of laws, policies, and their implementation); and,
- Engagement at the global level.
National Youth Day (NYD) 2020
- National Youth Day (NYD) is observed on Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary on January 12 every year.
- The main objective of NYD is to promote rational thinking among the youth. Youth is expected to rise to the values, principles and beliefs that Vivekananda lived by.
- On the occasion of National Youth Day 2020 the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and Uttar Pradesh government also jointly organized the National Youth Festival (NYF) with the theme “Fit youth, Fit India”.
- The objective of NYF is to provide an arena where youth can interact and exchange their social and cultural uniqueness. This blend of diverse socio-cultural milieu proves belief in ‘Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat’.