Focus: GS-II Social Justice
Why in news?
- Union HRD Minister launched the Manodarpan initiative of HRD Ministry to provide psychosocial support to students for their Mental Health and Well-being.
- As part of Manodarpan initiative a National Toll-free Helpline a special web page of Manodarpan on the portal of HRD Ministry, and a Handbook on Manodarpan was also Launched.
Why was this needed?
- The COVID-19 Pandemic is not only a serious medical concern, but also brings mixed emotions and psycho-social stress for all.
- With specific focus on children and adolescents, there are emerging mental health concerns that are often reported in such situations.
- Children and adolescents may be more vulnerable and may experience heightened level of stress, anxiety and fearfulness, along with a range of other emotional and behavioural issues.
- The initiative covers a wide range of activities to provide Psychosocial Support to students for their Mental Health & Well-being during the COVID outbreak and beyond.
- A Working Group, having experts from the fields of education, mental health and psychosocial issues as its members, has been set up to monitor and promote the mental health issues and concerns of students and to facilitate providing of support to address the mental health and psychosocial aspects during and after COVID-19 lockdown, through conselling services, online resources and helpline.
- The Web-page contains advisory, practical tips, posters, podcasts, videos, dos and don’ts for psychosocial support, FAQs and online query system.
- A National Toll-free helpline is managed by a pool of experienced counselors/ Psychologists and other mental health professionals and will continue beyond the COVID-19 situation.
Components of Manodarpan Initiative
- Advisory Guidelines for students, teachers and faculty of School systems and Universities along with families.
- Web page on the MHRD website, which will carry advisory, practical tips, etc.
- National level database and directory of counsellors at School and University level.
- National Toll-free Helpline for a country wide outreach to students from school, universities and colleges.
- Handbook on Psychosocial Support: Enriching Life skills & Wellbeing of Students published online.
- Interactive Online Chat Platform for contact, counselling and guidance by psychologists and other mental health professionals.
- Webinars, audio-visual resources including videos, posters, flyers, comics, and short films to be uploaded as additional resource materials on webpage.