Recently, the Methane Alert and Response System (MARS) notified governments of 127 plumes spanning four continents and identified 1,500 plumes in its pilot stage.
GS III: Environment and Ecology
Dimensions of the Article:
- Methane Alert and Response System
- International Methane Emissions Observatory (IMEO)
Methane Alert and Response System:
- The Methane Alert and Response System (MARS) is a program designed to enable data-driven actions to lower methane emissions.
- Revealed at COP 27 in November 2022, MARS commenced a preliminary phase in January 2023.
- This phase allowed the UNEP’s International Methane Emissions Observatory to collaborate with stakeholders for refining the system before publicizing data.
- MARS employs satellite technology to identify significant emission sources worldwide, prompting nations and firms to undertake methane mitigation measures in line with the Paris Agreement and Global Methane Pledge.
- The initiative collaborates with entities like the Climate and Clean Air Coalition and the International Energy Agency.
- MARS integrates four essential elements to foster transparency and cut emissions:
- Pinpointing substantial human-related methane emission sources.
- Alerting pertinent nations and corporations of these emissions.
- Soliciting actions from these stakeholders to manage the emissions.
- Monitoring the efficacy of actions implemented to curb emissions and fostering collaborative efforts to avert future methane release.
International Methane Emissions Observatory (IMEO):
- Unveiled at the G20 Leaders’ Summit in 2021, IMEO primarily targets methane emissions from the fossil fuel industry.
- IMEO integrates methane data from scientific studies, satellite observations via the Methane Alert and Response System (MARS), thorough reporting by the industry under the Oil and Gas Methane Partnership 2.0 (OGMP 2.0), and national emissions inventories.
- The OGMP 2.0 acts as UNEP’s leading programme, forming alliances with corporations to enhance the precision and openness of methane emission data within the oil and gas industry, supported by a dedicated framework.
-Source: Indian Express