Focus: Government Policies and Interventions
Why in News?
Around 35.7 lakh vacancies have been reported by employers on the National Career Service portal during the year 2022-23 compared to around 13 lakh vacancies in 2021- 22.
National Career Service Portal in India:
- The National Career Service (NCS) is a mission-mode project launched in 2015 as part of the E-Governance Plan in India.
- The portal’s objectives are to bridge the gap between job-seekers, employers, training providers, and career counselling agencies.
- It aims to transform the National Employment Service by providing a host of career-related services, such as job matching, career counselling, vocational guidance, job notifications, and information on skill development courses and internships.
The NCS has the following focus areas:
- Enhancing career and employment opportunities
- Counselling and guidance for career development
- Focusing on decent employment
- Enhancing female labour force participation
- Encouraging entrepreneurial endeavours
The project is being implemented by the Directorate General of Employment under the Ministry of Labour & Employment and serves as a nodal agency for the same.