Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Minister of Science and Technology released the Theme of National Science Day 2023 at a function in New Delhi.
About National Science Day 2023:
- The theme of National Science Day 2023 will be Global Science for Global Wellbeing.
- The government of India designated 28 February as National Science Day (NSD) in 1986.
- On this day Sir C.V. Raman announced the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1930.
What is Raman Effect?
- Raman Effect is a phenomenon in spectroscopy discovered by the eminent physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman in 1928.
- After two years in 1930, he got Nobel Prize for this remarkable discovery and this was the first Nobel Prize for India in the field of Science.
- Raman Effect is a change in the wavelength of light that occurs when a light beam is deflected by molecules.
- When a beam of light traverses a dust-free, transparent sample of a chemical compound, a small fraction of the light emerges in directions other than that of the incident (incoming) beam.
- Most of this scattered light is of unchanged wavelength.
- A small part, however, has wavelengths different from that of the incident light; its presence is a result of the Raman Effect.