Focus: GS II: Polity and Governance
Why in News?
Recently, President of India presented National Service Scheme Awards for the year 2020-21
About National Service Scheme (NSS)
- The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- It provides opportunity to the student youth of 11th & 12th Class of schools at +2 Board level and student youth of Technical Institution, Graduate & Post Graduate at colleges and University level of India to take part in various government led community service activities & programmes.
- The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service.
- Since inception of the NSS in the year 1969, the number of students strength increased from 40,000 to over 3.8 million up to the end of March 2018 students in various universities, colleges and Institutions of higher learning have volunteered to take part in various community service programmes.
The motto of National Service Scheme is NOT ME BUT YOU
Benefits of Being a NSS Volunteer:
- A NSS volunteer who takes part in the community service programme would either be a college level or a senior secondary level student. Being an active member these student volunteers would have the exposure and experience to be the following:
- an accomplished social leader
- an efficient administrator
- a person who understands human nature
National Service Scheme Award
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India had instituted the National Service Scheme Awards to recognize the voluntary service rendered by NSS volunteers, Programme Officers, N.S.S. units and the university/senior secondary council.
- These awards were instituted in the year 1993-1994. Since then, these awards are given away every year at various Levels.
Objectives of National Service Scheme Award
- To recognize outstanding contribution by NSS student volunteers, NSS Programme Officers and the Programme Coordinators in community service
- To encourage young NSS student volunteers to develop their personality through community service.
- To encourage the Programme Officers and the Programme Coordinators of NSS for catering the needs of National Service Scheme through the NSS volunteers.
- To motivate NSS Volunteers for continuing their selfless service towards community work.