Why in news?
- There has been a marginal decline in the incidents of acid attacks in the country in 2018 compared to the previous year West Bengal tops with 50 cases Uttar Pradesh comes second with 40 and Delhi third with 11 cases.
- The common perception is that acid attack is mainly targeted towards women, but in some cases, enmity and dispute result in acid attacks on men as well.
- Acid attacks are registered under Section 326 A of the Indian Penal Code, with a minimum punishment of 10 years of imprisonment.
National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)
- NCRB is the nodal agency under the Home Ministry for the authentic sources of data on crime.
- NCRB provides data on various parameters including accidents, suicides from across all the states of the country and prisons for policy matters and research.
- The National Crime Records Bureau is headquartered in New Delhi.
- NCRB was established on 11 March 1986 as the central police organization.
- It publishes 4 annual publications on Crime, Prison Statistics, Accidental Deaths & Suicides, and Finger Prints.