- MoHFW has not suspended the PC&PNDT Act
- Integrated Government Online training’ (iGOT)
- ‘Chitra Acrylosorb Secretion Solidification System’
MoHFW has not suspended the PC&PNDT Act
Why in news?
It is clarified that MoHFW has not suspended the PC&PNDT Act, which prohibits sex selection before or after conception.
It is reiterated that each Ultrasound clinic, Genetic Counselling centre, Genetic Laboratory, Genetic Clinicand Imaging Centre would have to maintain all the mandatory records
All records are mandatory and have to be maintained as per the Rules and the said Notification in no way impacts the requirement of stringent implementation of the PC&PNDT Act and Rules.
- The act was enacted in 1994 and amended in 2003 and is an important tool for addressing sex-selective eliminations.
- Objectives: The main purpose of enacting the act is to ban the use of sex selection techniques before or after conception and prevent the misuse of a prenatal diagnostic technique for sex-selective abortion.
Main provisions in the act are:
- The Act provides for the prohibition of sex selection, before or after conception.
- It regulates the use of pre-natal diagnostic techniques, like ultrasound and amniocentesis by allowing them their use only to detect few cases.
- No laboratory or centre or clinic will conduct any test including ultrasonography for the purpose of determining the sex of the foetus.
- No person, including the one who is conducting the procedure as per the law, will communicate the sex of the foetus to the pregnant woman or her relatives by words, signs or any other method.
- Any person who puts an advertisement for pre-natal and pre-conception sex determination facilities in the form of a notice, circular, label, wrapper or any document, or advertises through interior or other media in electronic or print form or engages in any visible representation made by means of hoarding, wall painting, signal, light, sound, smoke or gas, can be imprisoned for up to three years and fined Rs. 10,000.
- The Act mandates compulsory registration of all diagnostic laboratories, all genetic counselling centres, genetic laboratories, genetic clinics and ultrasound clinics.
Offences under this act include conducting or helping in the conduct of prenatal diagnostic technique in the unregistered units, sex selection on a man or woman, conducting PND test for any purpose other than the one mentioned in the act, sale, distribution, supply, renting etc. of any ultra sound machine or any other equipment capable of detecting sex of the foetus.
The act was amended in 2003 to improve the regulation of the technology used in sex selection. The Act was amended to bring the technique of pre conception sex selection and ultrasound technique within the ambit of the act.
Integrated Government Online training’ (iGOT)
Why in news?
Government of India has launched a training module for management of COVID-19 named ‘Integrated Govt. Online training’ (iGOT) portal
For What purpose?
For the capacity building of frontline workers to handle the pandemic efficiently
On Ministry of HRD’s DIKSHA platform
Courses on iGOT have been launched for Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics, Hygiene Workers, Technicians, Auxiliary Nursing Midwives (ANMs), State Government Officers, Civil Defence Officers, Various Police Organisations, National Cadet Corps(NCC), NehruYuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS), National Service Scheme, Indian Red Cross Society, Bharat Scouts and Guides and other volunteers at the stage.
About Integrated Government Online Training Programme (iGOT)
- Aim: To provide a broad training eco-system creating synergies across various premier training institutes of the country and to cater the training needs which can encompass all the officials in the entire hierarchy of Central and State Governments.
- The IGOT will augment the existing training mechanism with online module-based training coupled with certification on flexitime basis.
- The training will be focussed and targeted to the requirement of the officials.
What is included in IGOT Programme?
- The e-Learning mode provides unparalleled opportunities for training to a large number of civil servants scattered all over the country.
- The latest technologies make available vast resources of learning material and online courses, providing the individuals enormous choices and flexibility in learning.
- It will provide a single point of access to the repository of training resources.
- The training courses under this programme will be accessible through DoPT’s web portal.
- The initiative aims at “Competent Civil Services for Good Governance”.
DIKSHA is a unique initiative which leverages existing highly scalable and flexible digital infrastructures while keeping teachers at the center.
- DIKSHA will serve as National Digital Infrastructure for Teachers.
- All teachers across the nation will be equipped with advanced digital technology.
- Diksha portal will enable, accelerate and amplify solutions in the realm of teacher education.
- It will aid teachers to learn and train themselves for which assessment resources will be available.
- It will help teachers to create training content, profile, in-class resources, assessment aids, news, and announcement and connect with the teacher community.
‘Chitra Acrylosorb Secretion Solidification System’
Why in news?
Scientists at Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST) an autonomous institute under the Department of Science and Technology (DST) have designed and developed a highly efficient superabsorbent material for liquid respiratory and other body fluid solidification and disinfection for the safe management of infected respiratory secretions.
- AcryloSorb can absorb liquids at least 20 times more than its dry weight and also contains a decontaminant for in situ disinfection.
- Containers filled with this material will immobilize the contaminated fluid by solidifying it (gel-like), thus avoiding spillage and will also disinfect it.
- The canister containing the solidified waste canister can then be decomposed as all other biomedical waste by incineration.
- This technology reduces the risk for the hospital staff, the need for personnel for disinfecting and cleaning the bottles and canisters for reusing them and makes the disposal safer and easier.
- In the developed system, suction canisters, disposable spit bags have been designed with “AcryloSorb” technology.
- They are lined inside with the AcryloSorb material.
- The AcryloSorb suction canisters will collect the liquid respiratory secretions from ICU patients or those with copious secretions treated in the wards.
- The container will be spill-proof and can be sealed after use, making it safe and fit for disposal through the usual incineration system for biomedical wastes.