- Sickle Cell Anaemia
- World Wetlands Day
- Guru Ravidas
Focus: GS II: Health
Why in News?
The Government of India, through the National Health Mission, is supporting the states in their efforts to prevent and manage sickle cell disease. In Union Budget 2023-24, the government has announced a mission to eliminate Sickle cell Anaemia by 2047.
Sickle Cell Anemia
- Sickle cell anemia is a genetic blood disorder in which the red blood cells take on a crescent shape, making it difficult for the cells to pass through small blood vessels and causing blockages.
The symptoms of sickle cell anemia can vary from person to person, but common symptoms include:
- Painful episodes (sickle cell crisis)
- Fatigue and weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Delays in growth and development
- Joint pain
- frequent infections
Click Here To Read More: Sickle Cell Anemia
Focus: GS III: Environment and Ecology
Why in News?
The State Governments and Union Territory administrations celebrated World Wetlands Day (WWD) at all 75 Ramsar sites this year with over 200 events.
What are wetlands?
- A wetland is a distinct ecosystem that is flooded by water, either permanently or seasonally, where oxygen-free processes prevail.
- The primary factor that distinguishes wetlands from other land forms or water bodies is the characteristic vegetation of aquatic plants, adapted to the unique hydric soil.
- The main wetland types are swamp, marsh, bog, and fen; sub-types include mangrove forest, carr, pocosin, floodplains, mire, vernal pool, sink, and many others.
- The largest wetlands include the Amazon River basin, the West Siberian Plain, the Pantanal in South America, and the Sundarbans in the Ganges-Brahmaputra delta.
Click Here To Read More: World Wetlands Day
Focus: GS I: History
Why in News?
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has paid tributes to Sant Ravidas on his Jayanti.
- Commemoration: Guru Ravidas Jayanthi is celebrated on Magh Purnima, the day of the full moon in the Hindu Lunar calendar.
- Bhakti Movement Saint: Guru Ravidas was a 14th-century famous Bhakti Movement saint.
- Beliefs: He believed in the nirguna form of supreme beings, rather than the saguna form.
- Religion: Guru Ravidas is the founder of the Ravidassia religion.
- Scripture: 41 of his devotional songs and poems are included in the Sikh scripture, Guru Granth Sahib.
- Famous Disciple: The famous saint poetess, Mirabai was a disciple of Guru Ravidas.