- Vibrant Village Programme
- Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID)
Focus: GS III- Indian Economy (Infrastructure)
Why in News?
Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, and Labour & Employment said that under the leadership of Prime Minister border villages will be developed comprehensively through the Vibrant Villages Programme and said that stronger border villages will lead to a stronger nation.
About Vibrant Village Programme
- The program’s goal is to enhance infrastructure in villages along India’s China border.
- In states like Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, and Arunachal Pradesh, infrastructure will be enhanced.
- Residential and tourism centres will be built as part of the programme.
- It will also facilitate the development of decentralised renewable energy sources and increase road connectivity.
- Aside from that, there will be direct access to Doordarshan and educational channels. A source of income will be offered.
- It emphasises the generation of livelihoods, road connectivity, housing, rural infrastructure, renewable energy, television, and broadband connections.
- This goal will be achieved by improving infrastructure in villages near the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Need for such scheme:
- The programme is a rebuke to China’s model villages, but the term was picked with care to avoid causing a stir in the neighbouring country.
- In recent years, China has created new communities along the LAC, mainly across the Arunachal Pradesh border.
- Villages on the Indian side of the border have undergone unprecedented out-migration while China has been placing new citizens in border areas.
Focus: GS II: Government policies and Intervention
Why in News?
Recently, the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs said that the sale of gold jewellery mandates a Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID) from April 1, 2023.
Hallmark Unique Identification:
- The Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID) is a 6-digit alphanumeric code that is given to every piece of jewellery during the hallmarking process.
- The code is unique for every piece of jewellery and is manually stamped on it at Assaying & Hallmarking centres.
- The HUID consists of numbers and letters.
- The previous HUID used to be 4 digits, but now both 4 and 6-digit codes are used in the market.
- Starting from April 1st, 2023, only 6-digit alphanumeric codes will be allowed.
- The BIS Hallmark has three symbols – BIS logo, Purity/Fineness Grade, and a six-digit alphanumeric code, which includes the HUID.
- The authenticity of hallmarked jewellery can be checked using the ‘verify HUID’ feature on the BIS Care App.
Bureau of Indian Standards:
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is the National Standards Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016.
- Its primary objective is to ensure the harmonious development of standardisation and quality assurance of goods and articles.
- BIS works under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
- It represents India in international standardisation bodies such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).