- Kochi-Lakshadweep islands submarine optical fiber connection project
Kochi-Lakshadweep Islands Submarine Optical Fiber Connection Project
Recently, the Prime Minister of India inaugurated the Kochi-Lakshadweep islands submarine optical fiber connection (KLI-SOFC) project among various developmental projects covering a wide range of sectors including technology, energy, water resources, healthcare and education.
GS III: Infrastructure
Dimensions of the Article:
- Key Facts About the KLI-SOFC Project
- Significance of the KLI-SOFC Project
Key Facts About the KLI-SOFC Project
- Digital Connectivity Need: Lakshadweep faced a need for enhanced digital connectivity due to limitations in satellite communication, characterized by insufficient bandwidth to meet the growing demand.
KLI-SOFC Project Details
- Internet Speed Enhancement: The KLI-SOFC project aims to increase internet speed, unlocking new possibilities and opportunities for Lakshadweep.
- Introduction of Submarine Optic Fiber Cable: This project marks the introduction of Submarine Optic Fiber Cable connectivity for the first time in Lakshadweep since independence.
- Fiber Optics Technology: Fiber optics, or optical fiber, is the technology employed for transmitting information as light pulses along a glass or plastic fiber.
- Funding and Implementation: The Department of Telecommunications (DOT), funded by the Universal Services Obligation Fund (USOF), successfully completed the project. Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) served as the Project Executing Agency.
- Extension of Submarine Cable Connectivity: The KLI project extended submarine cable connectivity from the mainland (Kochi) to eleven Lakshadweep Islands, namely Kavaratti, Agatti, Amini, Kadmat, Chetlet, Kalpeni, Minicoy, Androth, Kiltan, Bangaram, and Bitra.
Significance of the KLI-SOFC Project
- Alignment with National Initiatives: The project aligns with the objectives of ‘Digital India’ and the ‘National Broadband Mission,’ contributing to the advancement of digital infrastructure in Lakshadweep Islands.
- Boost for E-Governance: The rollout of the project will facilitate the implementation of various e-governance initiatives, fostering efficiency and accessibility in government services.
- Impact on Key Sectors: Sectors such as e-governance, tourism, education, health, commerce, and industries will experience significant enhancements, leading to overall improvements in standards of living and socio-economic development on the islands.
- Enhanced Connectivity for Population: The population of Lakshadweep Islands will benefit from high-speed wireline broadband connectivity, facilitated through technologies like Fibre to the Home (FTTH) and 5G/4G mobile networks.
- Accessibility for Telecom Service Providers (TSPs): The bandwidth generated by the project will be accessible to all Telecom Service Providers (TSPs), reinforcing and expanding telecom services in Lakshadweep Islands.