- Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas
- SPRINT Scheme
Focus: Facts for Prelims
Why in News?
Prime Minister inaugurates 17th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention
About 17th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- The Prime Minister inaugurated the 17th three-day Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- A digital exhibition on the contribution of the diaspora in the freedom struggle was also launched.
- A commemorative stamp, “Surakshit Jaayen, Prashikshit Jaayen,” was released on the occasion.
Overview of Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas
- Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) is a day to celebrate the contribution of the diaspora to India. It is celebrated on January 9th to mark the day in 1915 when Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa.
- PBD Conventions are held every two years and are theme-based.
- The theme of PBD 2023 is “Diaspora: Reliable partners for India’s progress in Amrit Kaal.”
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award is also conferred on this day to individuals, organizations, or institutions established and run by Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) or People of Indian Origin (PIOs) who have made significant contributions to a better understanding of India abroad and supported India’s causes and concerns in a tangible way.
- PBD provides a platform for the overseas Indian community to engage with the government and native people of India. It is also a useful networking opportunity for the diaspora.
Focus: GS III: Defence
Why in News?
The Indian Navy has recently inked an agreement with Sagar Defence Engineering Pvt. Ltd for acquiring armed autonomous boat swarms under the ‘SPRINT’ initiative.
About SPRINT Scheme
- The SPRINT Scheme is an initiative to promote the development of niche defense technologies by domestic companies in India.
- It is one of 75 challenges introduced by the Indian Navy under the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav last year.
- The Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO) and the Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO) aim to induct at least 75 new indigenous technologies/products into the Indian Navy by August 2023 to achieve self-reliance in defense.
- The SPRINT Scheme, which was launched by the Prime Minister in July 2022, will transform the Navy from a “buyer’s navy” to a “builder’s navy.”
Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO)
- The NIIO was launched by the Defense Ministry in August 2020 to encourage innovation and indigenization for self-reliance in the defense sector.
- It is a three-tiered organization consisting of the Naval Technology Acceleration Council (N-TAC), a working group under the N-TAC, and the Technology Development Acceleration Cell (TDAC).
- The N-TAC brings together the aspects of innovation and indigenization and provides directives at the apex level.
- The working group under the N-TAC implements projects.
- The TDAC has been created to induct emerging disruptive technology in an accelerated time frame.