- Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana (AVYAY)
- Exercise SEA DRAGON 23
Focus: GS II: Government Policies and Inerventions
Why in News?
The Department of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens (IPSrC), a component of Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana.
Atal Vayo Abhyuday Yojana:
Nodal : Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- It is a Central Sector Scheme previously known as National Action Plan for Senior Citizens.
- Its vision is to create a society where senior citizens can live a healthy, happy, and empowered life.
- It has two components:
- Integrated Program for Senior Citizens (IPSrC): It includes setting up homes to improve the quality of life of senior citizens, especially indigent senior citizens who lack basic amenities.
- State Action Plan for Senior Citizens (SAPSrC): Each state/union territory is expected to frame its own action plan for the welfare of senior citizens.
- Under IPSrC component, grant in aid is provided to NGOs/Voluntary Organisations (VOs) for running and maintenance of old age homes and Continuous Care Homes.
- Five schemes have been launched under this umbrella scheme:
- Poshan Abhiyan for the elderly
- Livelihood and skilling initiatives for senior citizens
- Scheme on promoting the silver economy
- Awareness generation and capacity building for the welfare of senior citizens
- Channelising CSR funds for elderly care.
Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
Indian Navy is participating in SEA DRAGON 23 exercise in waters off Guam, USA which has been scheduled from 15-30 March 23.
Exercise SEA DRAGON 23
- The Sea Dragon is an annual multinational anti-submarine warfare (ASW) exercise conducted by the United States Navy.
- Participating countries in SEA DRAGON 23 include India, USA, Japan, Canada, and South Korea.
- This is the third edition of the coordinated multi-lateral ASW exercise for Long Range MR ASW aircraft, launched in 2014.
- The Exercise aims to achieve high levels of synergy and coordination between the friendly navies based on shared values and commitment to an open, inclusive Indo-Pacific.
- An Indian Navy P8I aircraft will be represented along with other countries’ aircrafts to test the capabilities of participating aircraft in tracking simulated and live underwater targets while sharing mutual expertise.
- Other Exercises between India and USA include Malabar, Yudh Abhyas, and VAJRA PRAHAR.