Focus: GS III: Security Challenges
Why in News?
Indian Navy is participating in SEA DRAGON 23 exercise in waters off Guam, USA which has been scheduled from 15-30 March 23.
Exercise SEA DRAGON 23
- The Sea Dragon is an annual multinational anti-submarine warfare (ASW) exercise conducted by the United States Navy.
- Participating countries in SEA DRAGON 23 include India, USA, Japan, Canada, and South Korea.
- This is the third edition of the coordinated multi-lateral ASW exercise for Long Range MR ASW aircraft, launched in 2014.
- The Exercise aims to achieve high levels of synergy and coordination between the friendly navies based on shared values and commitment to an open, inclusive Indo-Pacific.
- An Indian Navy P8I aircraft will be represented along with other countries’ aircrafts to test the capabilities of participating aircraft in tracking simulated and live underwater targets while sharing mutual expertise.
- Other Exercises between India and USA include Malabar, Yudh Abhyas, and VAJRA PRAHAR.