- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
- Mithila Makhana
Focus: GS II- International Relations
Why in News?
Raksha Mantri is visiting Tashkent, Uzbekistan to attend the Annual Meeting of the Defence Ministers’ of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Member States.
What is the SCO?
- Founded in June 2001, it was built on the ‘Shanghai Five’, the grouping which consisted of Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
- They came together in the post-Soviet era in 1996, in order to work on regional security, reduction of border troops and terrorism.
- They endowed particular focus on ‘conflict resolution’, given its early success between China and Russia, and then within the Central Asian Republics.
Click Here To Read More: Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
Focus: GS III – Intellectual property rights
Why in News?
The government has recently awarded the Geographical Indication (GI) tag to Mithila Makhana.
About Mithila Makhana:
- Mithila Makhana or Makhan (botanical name: Euryale ferox Salisb.) is a special variety of aquatic fox nut cultivated in Mithila region of Bihar and Nepal.
- Makhana is the one of the three prestigious cultural identities of Mithila.
- Pan, Makhan and Machh (fish) are the three prestigious cultural identity of Mithila.
- It is also very famous in Kojagara festival of Maithil Brahmins celebrated for newly married couples.
- Makhana contains protein and fiber, along with micronutrients like calcium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus.
Click Here To Read More: Mithila Makhana