Focus: Facts for prelims
Why in News?
Recently, the Prime Minister recalled the ‘Nation First’ spirit of freedom fighter Prahlad Patel on his 115th birth anniversary.
- He noted Shri Prahladji Patel’s generosity in social service and his sacrifice. And requested universities in Gujarat should carry out research and bring to light such forgotten freedom fighters and underscore their contribution in the independence movement.
Who was Prahlad Patel?
- Prahlad Patel was born in Becharaji, Gujarat, and battled for India’s independence from British rule before joining Vinoba Bhave’s ‘Bhoodan’ movement.
- He gave away 200 hectares of property that he owned.
- On Mahatma Gandhi’s urging, the freedom fighter joined the freedom struggle and was imprisoned in Sabarmati and Yerawada.
- Shri Patel’s father died while he was confined, but Shri Prahladji Patel refused to accept the colonial authorities’ demands of apology for allowing him to perform the final rites.
- He also aided and abetted a number of underground freedom fighters.
- After independence, Prahlad Patel assisted Sardar Patel in the merging of princely states.