The Indian Railways is collaborating with Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) under the Real Time Train Information System (RTIS) project.
GS III: Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways Etc.
Dimensions of the Article:
- About the Real Time Train Information System (RTIS) project
About the Real Time Train Information System (RTIS) project:
- The RTIS project involves the installation of satellite-based devices on trains to automatically acquire movement timing data, including arrival and departure times at stations.
- The project is executed by the Centre for Railway Information Systems (CRIS) in collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- The RTIS devices use satellite imagery to track the location and speed of trains, providing mid-section updates with a periodicity of 30 seconds.
- The movement timing data is automatically plotted on the control chart of the train in the Control Office Application (COA) system, enabling train controllers to track the location and speed of trains more closely and without any manual intervention.
- Passengers can use the system to get real-time information about a train’s location and running status on their smartphones.
Collaboration with ISRO:
- The RTIS system uses ISRO’s GSAT satellites, which have GAGAN payloads for tracking the movement of trains.
- The RTIS system enables faster decision-making and improved efficiency in train operations.
- It provides passengers with real-time information about train locations and running status, improving their travel experience.
- It enhances the safety and security of train operations by enabling closer monitoring of train movements.
-Source: The Hindu