Focus: GS III- Defence Technology
Why in News?
The RIMPAC-22 exercise will be held in and close to the Hawaiian Islands and Southern California from 29th June to 4th August, 27 countries are participating in the current edition of the multi-dimensional exercise.
- It’s one of the biggest multilateral naval exercises held every two years, and the US organises it.
- The US, Australia, and Canada began holding the RIMPAC as an annual exercise in 1971. But starting in 1974, maritime exercises were held every two years.
- Its objectives include increasing interoperability and fostering trust between the Navies of friendly foreign nations.
- RIMPAC 2022’s theme is “capable, adaptive partners.”
- India first participated in RIMPAC in 2014 when the indigenously built Shivalik class stealth frigate INS Sahyadri took part in the exercise.
- INS Sahyadri again represented the country in the 2018 edition of the event.
- In between, in 2016, INS Satpura joined the maritime exercise. Before 2014, the Indian Navy’s presence in the wargames was only as an observer for the 2006, 2010 and 2012 editions.
- In the current edition, Indian Navy’s INS Satpura and one P8I maritime patrol aircraft are participating in the exercise.