Focus: GS-II Social Justice, Prelims
Why in news?
With the aim of making the best of our skilled workforce returning to the country due to the ongoing pandemic, the Government of India has launched a new initiative SWADES.
- SWADES (Skilled Workers Arrival Database for Employment Support) is implemented to conduct a skill mapping exercise of the returning citizens under the Vande Bharat Mission.
- SWADES is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Ministry of External Affairs.
- SWADES aims to create a database of qualified citizens based on their skillsets and experience to tap into and fulfil demand of Indian and foreign companies.
- The collected information will be shared with the companies for suitable placement opportunities in the country.
- MSDE’s (Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship) implementation arm National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) is supporting the implementation of the project.
SWADES Skills Card
- The returning citizens are required to fill up an online SWADES Skills Card.
- SWADES Skills Card will facilitate a strategic framework to provide the returning citizens with suitable employment opportunities through discussions with key stakeholders including State Governments, Industry Associations and Employers.
- The data collected through SWADES Skill Card will help the citizens with job prospects and bridge the demand-supply gap.
Why is the SWADES initiative necessary?
- A lot of our overseas workers returning to India due to job losses, possess international skill sets and experience which can be of great value for domestic and international markets.
- The initiative will help in deployment of returning Indian workforce matching their skill sets.