- Tethers Unlimited has demonstrated an easy solution to get rid of satellites once they are of no use.
- The solution involves a 230-feet long strip of conductive tape, which is delightfully called the Terminator Tape.
- The Terminator Tape is a small module about the size of a notebook.
- Weighing less than two pounds, it is designed to attach to the exterior of a satellite which deploys the 230-feet long conductive tape through an electric signal from either the satellite or an independent timer unit when the satellite completes its mission and is ready to get disposed.
- This tape interacts with the space environment to create a drag force on the satellite that lowers its orbit far more rapidly than it would if it were simply abandoned in orbit