Nearly 3,000 people are expected to attend Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam. The festival aims to showcase “age-old ties” and cultural links between two coastal States of Gujarat and Tamil Nadu.
GS I: Art and Culture
Dimensions of the Article:
- What is Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam?
- Significance of Sangamam
- About Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat
What is Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam?
Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam is a festival that celebrates the cultural connections between Saurashtra in Gujarat and Tamil Nadu. Here are some key points about the festival:
- The festival is held to showcase the cultural diversity and strength of India and to reconnect people with pilgrimage destinations and cultural heritage.
- The festival highlights the migration of people from Saurashtra in Gujarat to Tamil Nadu’s districts around Madurai between 600 and 1000 years ago.
- The people of Gujarati origin have settled in various places in Tamil Nadu, creating cultural connections between Gujarat and Tamil Nadu.
- The festival will take place at multiple locations in Gujarat, including Somnath, Dwarka, and the Statue of Unity at Kevadia.
Significance of Sangamam:
- Equally important as other forms of security, such as border security, economic security, food security, social security, and cybersecurity.
- Protects cultural links and heritage, which is essential for maintaining a nation’s identity and has witnessed a cultural revival of India.
- Promotes community building and social cohesion by providing a platform for the community to come together, socialize, and build a sense of community.
- Fosters mutual respect, understanding, and harmony among people from different walks of life, fostering a sense of unity and togetherness.
About Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat
- “Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat” was announced by Hon’ble Prime Minister on 31st October, 2015 on the occasion of the 140th birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Through this innovative measure, the knowledge of the culture, traditions and practices of different States & UTs will lead to an enhanced understanding and bonding between the States, thereby strengthening the unity and integrity of India.
- All States and UTs will be covered under the programme.
- There will be pairing of States/UTs at national level and these pairings will be in effect for one year, or till the next round of pairings.
- The activity will be very useful to link various States and Districts in annual programmes that will connect people through exchanges in areas of culture, tourism, language, education trade etc. and citizens will be able to experience the cultural diversity of a much larger number of States/UTs while realizing that India is one.
- To CELEBRATE the Unity in Diversity of our Nation and to maintain and strengthen the fabric of traditionally existing emotional bonds between the people of our Country;
- To PROMOTE the spirit of national integration through a deep and structured engagement between all Indian States and Union Territories through a year-long planned engagement between States;
- To SHOWCASE the rich heritage and culture, customs and traditions of either State for enabling people to understand and appreciate the diversity that is India, thus fostering a sense of common identity;
- TO ESTABLISH long-term engagements and
- TO CREATE an environment which promotes learning between States by sharing best practices and experiences.
-Source: The Hindu