Focus: GS III: Security challenegs
Why in News?
The 21st edition of the bilateral naval exercise between India and France, “Exercise Varuna,” began on January 16, 2023.
- The exercise is a hallmark of the India-France strategic bilateral relationship, having been initiated in 1993 and named “Varuna” in 2001.
- It will include advanced air defense exercises, tactical maneuvers, surface firings, underway replenishment, and other maritime operations.
- The goal is for units of both navies to hone their war-fighting skills, increase interoperability, and demonstrate the ability to promote peace, security, and stability in the region.
- The exercise has grown in scope and complexity over the years, providing an opportunity for both navies to learn from each other’s best practices.
- It facilitates operational level interaction between the two navies to foster mutual cooperation for good order at sea and underscores the shared commitment of both nations to security, safety, and freedom of the global maritime commons.