Recently, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister wrote to Prime Minister, asking that at least three meetings of the Inter-State Council should be held every year to “strengthen the spirit of cooperative federalism”.
- He also suggested that bills of national importance should be placed before the Council before being tabled in Parliament. He said this was because there is no “effective and interactive communication” between the states and the Centre on issues of common interest.
GS II- Polity and Governance (Federalism)
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Inter-State Council:
- Aims of the ISC
- Functions of Inter-State Council
About Inter-State Council:
- Article 263 of the Indian constitution gives provision for the establishment of an Inter-State Council.
- This will improve collaboration between the Center and the States.
- It is the most vibrant platform for debating policies, strengthening Centre-State relations, and serving as a bridge between the Center and the States.
Aims of the ISC
- Decentralisation of powers to the states as much as possible
- More transfer of financial resources to the states
- Arrangements for devolution in such a way that the states can fulfil their obligations
- Advancement of loans to states should be related to as ‘the productive principle’
- Deployment of Central Armed Police Forces in the states either on their request or otherwise
Prime Minister acts as the chairman of the council.
Members of Inter-State Council
- Union Ministers of Cabinet rank in the Union
- Council of Ministers nominated by the Prime Minister.
- Chief Ministers of all states.
- Chief Ministers of Union Territories having a Legislative Assembly
- Administrators of UTs not having a Legislative Assembly.
- Governors of the states being administered under President’s rule.
Functions of Inter-State Council
- Inquiring into and providing advice on potential inter-state disputes
- Investigating and debating topics of common interest to the states of the union.
- Making recommendations on any such subject for enhanced policy and action coordination on that subject.
-Source: Indian Express