The 2023 Global Peace Index (GPI) recently released its annual ranking of the most peaceful countries in the world.
GS II: International Relations
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Global Peace Index
- Highlights of Global Peace Index 2023
About Global Peace Index:
- The Global Peace Index (GPI) is an annual report released by the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP).
- It ranks 163 independent states and territories based on their level of peacefulness.
The GPI measures the state of peace across three domains:
- Societal safety and security
- Ongoing domestic and international conflict
Highlights of Global Peace Index 2023:
- The average level of global peacefulness deteriorated by 0.42%.
- Iceland retains its position as the most peaceful country in the world since 2008, followed by Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, and Austria.
- Afghanistan is ranked as the least peaceful country for the eighth consecutive year, followed by Yemen, Syria, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- India has improved its ranking to 126th, two spots higher than the previous year.
- India experienced a 3.5% improvement in overall peacefulness, attributed to advancements in violent crime, relations with neighboring countries, and political stability.
- Other rankings include Nepal at 79th, China at 80th, Sri Lanka at 107th, the United States of America at 131st, and Pakistan at 146th.
-Source: Hindustan Times