Focus: GS III: Science and Technology
Why in News?
Recently, New Generation Ballistic Missile ‘Agni Prime’ was successfully flight-tested by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island.
About Agni Prime Missile:
- Agni Prime Missile is a short-range ballistic missile designed for surface-to-surface operations.
- It has a range of 1000 km to 1500 km, making it capable of covering significant distances.
- The missile is capable of carrying a payload of around 1,000 kg, including the option for a nuclear warhead.
- It incorporates advanced technologies such as new propulsion systems, composite rocket motor casings, and advanced navigation and guidance systems.
What is a ballistic missile?
- Ballistic missiles are a type of weapon system that follows a specific trajectory.
- They are launched directly into the upper layers of the Earth’s atmosphere.
- Once launched, they travel outside the atmosphere, where the warhead detaches from the missile and falls towards a predetermined target.
- Ballistic missiles are powered by rockets and can carry conventional or nuclear munitions.
- They can be launched from various platforms including aircraft, ships, submarines, and land-based launchers