Focus: GS III: Security challenges
Why in News?
The first joint exercise between the special forces of the Indian Army and the Egyptian Army is taking place in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan since 14 January 2023.
About Exercise Cyclone-I
- The exercise aims to bolster defence cooperation between the two nations and focus on sharing professional skills and interoperability of special forces in desert terrain.
- Counter terrorism, reconnaissance, raids and other special operations will be the focus of the exercise.
Purpose of the Exercise
- The 14 days long exercise will bring the special forces of both the nations on a common platform.
- Participants will advance special forces skills such as sniping, combat free fall, reconnaissance, surveillance & target designation, sharing of information on weapons, equipment, innovations, tactics, techniques & procedures.
- Joint planning and drills for special forces operations in a mechanised warfare setting and surgical strikes on terrorist camps/ hideouts will also be undertaken with sniping of high value targets.
Benefits of the Exercise
- The joint exercise will provide an insight into the culture and ethos of both armies thereby fostering military cooperation and interoperability to further strengthen the diplomatic relations between India and Egypt.