The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning the 200th successful launch of the Rohini RH-200 sounding rocket in a row.
GS III: Science and Technology
Dimensions of the Article:
- About RH-200
- What are the Sounding Rockets?
- The Rohini sounding rocket RH-200 has made 198 straight successful flights.
- World Space Week (4th-10th October) events will include the 199th launch in October 2022.
- The 200th will occur either at the end of October or the start of November 2022.
- The two-stage RH-200 rocket can carry research payloads up to a height of 70 km.
- Solid motors power the RH-200’s first and second stages.
- The RH-200 rocket had been propelled by polyvinyl chloride (PVC) for many years.
- The first RH-200 to successfully launch from the TERLS in September 2020 was using a new propellant based on hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB).
- HTPB-based propellants are more energetic, have greater mechanical and interface qualities, and have fewer flaws than PVC-based propellants because of lower processing temperatures.
- The number “200” in the name refers to the rocket’s mm-diameter. The RH-300 Mk-II and RH-560 Mk-III are further operating Rohini models.
What are the Sounding Rockets?
- Sounding rockets are one or two stage solid propellant rockets used for probing the upper atmospheric regions and for space research.
- Sounding rockets take their name from the nautical term “to sound,” which means to take measurements.
- They also serve as easily affordable platforms to test or prove prototypes of new components or subsystems intended for use in launch vehicles and satellites.
- On November 21st, 1963, the Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS) was founded. The magnetic equator of the earth is not far from its southern tip.
- The Indian Space Program got its start in 1963 with the launch of the American Nike-Apache sounding rocket from Thumba, which served as the foundation for all subsequent rockets.
- Since 1965, ISRO has been launching sounding rockets that were domestically produced. In 1967, the ISRO launched Rohini RH-75, its own variant.
- The Rohini Sounding Rocket (RSR) Program was established in 1975 and covered all sounding rocket operations.
- The Rohini series of sounding rockets includes the RH 200, RH 300, and RH 560, which are the three most significant models.
-Source: The Hindu