The Nodal Centre for Biological Invasions (NCBI) at the Kerala Forest Research Institute (KFRI) has recently come out with a management plan to eradicate Senna spectabilis.
Facts for Prelims
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Senna Spectabilis
- Key facts about the Periyar Tiger Reserve
- Based on the results of the experimental study done at the Periyar Tiger Reserve, the plan envisages landscape-level management of the tree.
- The two key factors considered in developing the management protocol were the fast nature of the spread of the tree in natural forests, and the restoration of natural forests based on landscape.
About Senna Spectabilis:
- Senna spectabilis is a plant species of the legume family (Fabaceae) native to South and Central America.
- The plant has become an invasive alien species in parts of Africa, India and other countries.
- The thick foliage of the tree arrests the growth of other indigenous tree and grass species.Hence,it causes food shortage for the wildlife population especially herbivores.
- It also adversely affects the germination and growth of the native species.
- It is categorised as ‘Least Concern’ under IUCN Red List.
Key facts about the Periyar Tiger Reserve
- It is nestled in the southern region of Western Ghats in the state of Kerala.
- It is drained by the rivers Mullayar and Periyar.
- Flora: tropical evergreen, semi-evergreen, moist deciduous forests and grasslands.
- Fauna: Tiger, Elephant, Lion-tailed macaque, Nilgiri Tahr etc.
-Source: The Hindu