In a first, Goa has become the first Indian state to offer free in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment.
GS II: Health
Dimensions of the Article:
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Applicability of IVF
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- IVF is a medical technique aimed at aiding individuals or couples facing fertility challenges in achieving pregnancy.
- It is a prominent form of assisted reproductive technology (ART) known for its effectiveness.
- IVF involves a multi-step process where eggs are retrieved from the ovaries and combined with sperm in a laboratory setting.
- After fertilization, the resulting embryo is placed into the uterus a few days later.
- Successful pregnancy occurs when the embryo successfully attaches to the uterine wall.
Variations and Factors:
- IVF can use a couple’s own eggs and sperm or involve donors’ eggs, sperm, or embryos, either known or anonymous.
- Success rate varies depending on factors such as reproductive history, maternal age, infertility causes, and lifestyle.
Applicability of IVF:
IVF is beneficial for treating infertility in various cases, including:
- Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes.
- Male factor infertility like low sperm count or motility.
- Ovulation disorders, uterine fibroids, or premature ovarian failure.
- Absence of fallopian tubes.
- Genetic disorders.
- Unexplained infertility.
-Source: The Economic Times