Focus: GS III: Environment and Ecology
Why in News?
The Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change has launched a mobile application called “Meri LiFE” (My Life) to mobilize youth for climate change ahead of World Environment Day on 5th June.
- The Ministry has developed two dedicated portals for LiFE: the Mission LiFE Portal and the Meri LiFE Portal.
About Meri LiFE app:
- The Meri LiFE app has a specific goal in mind: to showcase the power of citizens, particularly young people, in environmental conservation.
- By emphasizing the impact of simple actions in daily lives, the app aims to inspire users to actively participate in saving the environment.
Catalyzing a National Movement:
- The primary objective of the Meri LiFE app is to catalyze a national movement known as LiFE (Lifestyle for Environment).
- It achieves this by providing a structured platform that allows users to track their progress in accomplishing the goals set by Mission LiFE.
Promoting LiFE-Related Tasks:
The app encourages users to engage in a series of LiFE-related tasks that fall under five specific themes:
- Save Energy: Users are encouraged to take actions that conserve energy and promote energy efficiency in their daily lives.
- Save Water: Users are prompted to adopt behaviors that help conserve water resources and reduce water wastage.
- Reduce Single-Use Plastic: The app motivates users to actively reduce their consumption of single-use plastics and promote the use of sustainable alternatives.
- Adopt Sustainable Food Systems: Users are guided towards adopting sustainable food practices, such as reducing food waste and choosing locally sourced, organic options.
- Adopt Healthy Lifestyle: The app promotes the adoption of a healthy lifestyle by encouraging users to make choices that benefit both their personal well-being and the environment.
The idea promotes an environmentally conscious lifestyle that focuses on ‘mindful and deliberate utilisation’ instead of ‘mindless and wasteful consumption’.
Aim of LiFE:
- The LiFE Movement aims to utilise the power of collective action and nudge individuals across the world to undertake simple climate-friendly actions in their daily lives.
- The LiFE movement, additionally, also seeks to leverage the strength of social networks to influence social norms surrounding climate.
- The Mission plans to create and nurture a global network of individuals, namely ‘Pro-Planet People’ (P3), who will have a shared commitment to adopt and promote environmentally friendly lifestyles.
- Through the P3 community, the Mission seeks to create an ecosystem that will reinforce and enable environmentally friendly behaviours to be self-sustainable.
- LIFE recognizes that small individual actions can tip the balance in the planet’s favour.
Vision and Mission of LiFE:
Vision of LIFE:
- The vision of ‘LIFE’ is to live a lifestyle that is in tune with our planet and does not harm it The people who live such a lifestyle can be called “Pro-Planet people.”
Mission liFE for India:
- Mission LiFE borrows from the past, operates in the present and focuses on the future. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle are the concepts woven into our life. The Circular Economy has been an integral part of our culture and lifestyle.