Recently, the Ludhiana-based institution has developed a new variety of wheat called PBW RS1.
GS III: Science
Dimensions of the Article:
- PBW RS1
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Glycemic Index
PBW RS1 is a variety of wheat known for its high amylose starch content, which contributes to its unique properties.
Benefits of PBW RS1:
- High Amylose Starch: PBW RS1 contains a higher amount of amylose, a type of starch that is resistant to digestion. This results in slower release of glucose into the bloodstream after consumption, which can be beneficial for managing blood sugar levels.
- Resistant Starch: The resistant starch present in PBW RS1 does not cause a rapid increase in glucose levels and provides a more gradual release of glucose, promoting better glycemic control.
- Reduced Risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Diseases: The high amylose content in PBW RS1 is known to have potential health benefits, including reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
- Lower Glycemic Index: Foods prepared from whole grain flour of PBW RS1 have a lower glycemic index, indicating that they have a lesser impact on blood sugar levels compared to foods with higher glycemic index values.
Type 2 Diabetes:
- Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition in which the body is unable to properly use insulin or maintain normal blood sugar levels.
- It typically develops over time and is commonly diagnosed in adults, although there is an increasing prevalence among children, teens, and young adults.
- The glycemic index is a rating system that measures how quickly carbohydrates in food affect blood sugar levels when consumed alone.
- Foods with a higher glycemic index value cause a more rapid increase in blood glucose levels, while those with a lower glycemic index value result in a slower and more controlled rise in blood sugar levels.
-Source: Indian Express