- Conventional Submarines: These are the ones which are powered by electric motors and batteries.
E.g. Project-75 Class Submarines
- Nuclear Powered Ballistic Submarines: These are powered by nuclear fuel, thereby capable of operating underwater for longer durations. Primary role of such submarines is to provide strategic deterrence.
E.g. INS Arihant
- Nuclear Powered and Armed Submarines (SSN): These marines have unlimited endurance and high speeds and are armed with cruise missiles and heavyweight torpedoes, thus complementing carrier battle groups.
E.g. Akula Class Submarines.
Akula Class Submarines
- The Akula Class Submarine uses a nuclear reactor for propulsion, allowing it to remain underwater for an extended period of time which makes its detection impossible.
- This class of Submarine can be used for multiple tasks like hunting enemy submarines, intelligence surveillance etc.