Focus: GS III: Science and Technology
Why in News?
Recently, the Bharat Dynamics (BDL) has successfully conducted a field firing test of its latest 3rd generation man-portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM), Amogha-III.
About Amogha-III Missile:
- Amogha-III is an indigenous missile developed under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
- It has a fire-and-forget capability, meaning it does not require external intervention after launch.
- The missile features dual-mode Imaging Infra-Red (IIR) Seeker systems with a range of 200 to 2500 meters.
- It has a tandem warhead with two separate explosive charges detonated in sequence.
- The first charge, the precursor charge, creates a hole in the target’s armor, allowing the second charge, the main charge, to detonate inside, maximizing damage inflicted on the target.
- The missile has both top and direct attack modes, making it unique.