Why in news?
Vasini Bai, A woman innovator from Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, has developed ten varieties of Anthurium, a flower with high market value, by cross-pollination.
- Anthurium (Anthurium spp.) is a vast group of beautiful blooming plants available in a wide range of colors.
- The plants of the varieties are having high demands due to its use as indoor decorative plants.
- Anthurium helps in purifying the surrounding air and remove harmful airborne chemicals like formaldehyde, ammonia, toluene, xylene, and allergens.
- NASA has placed it in the list of air purifier plants.
Salient features of the Anthurium varieties are
- Large beautiful flowers
- Different colors of spathe and spadix
- Long stalks
- Better shelf life
- Good market value