Why in news?
An India-backed draft resolution at the 73rd session of the World Health Assembly received a big boost on 18th May 2020 when the African group of nations extended support for the motion which seeks global investigation into the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The World Health Assembly convened in Geneva where the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared that the global body will look into the lessons of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Details of the Draft Resolution
- There was a draft resolution, which was earlier backed by WHO’s 62 countries and sought to identify scientific “events” that could have contributed to the spread of the Pandemic jointly conceived by Australia and the European Union.
- The draft resolution also calls for “impartial, independent and comprehensive” evaluation into the “WHO-coordinated international health response” to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The language of the resolution reflects the diplomatic tug of war that has taken place since the pandemic began in early 2019
- Among the co-sponsors of the proposal to seek global investigation into scientific “events” are Bangladesh, Japan, South Korea, U.K. and Turkey.
- The support extended to the move shows that all BRICS member countries but China have extended support to the language.
- The resolution does not mention China or Wuhan but it is understood to be influenced by the Australian line which called for seeking an explanation of the COVID-19 pandemic from China.
Click Here to read more about the 73rd WHA (2nd Article)
-Source: The Hindu