Recently, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has approved the Digital Advertisement Policy, 2023 to enable and empower the Central Bureau of Communication (CBC) to undertake campaigns in the Digital Media space.
GS II: Polity and Governance
Dimensions of the Article:
- Key Policies under the Digital Advertisement Policy, 2023
- Significance of Digital Advertisement Policy, 2023
Key Policies under the Digital Advertisement Policy, 2023:
- CBC (Cabinet Secretariat Coordination) can advertise on various digital platforms, including social media, Over-the-Top (OTT) platforms, digital audio platforms, mobile applications, and websites.
- Websites, mobile apps, OTT platforms, and digital audio platforms must be at least one year old to qualify for the advertising scheme.
- Rates will be determined based on the subscriber base and viewership numbers.
- Competitive bidding will be employed to ensure transparency and efficiency in rate determination.
- The rates discovered through this process will remain valid for a period of three years.
Empanelment of OTT Platforms:
- OTT platforms can be empanelled not only for placing advertisements during regular content but also for the production of embedded/in-film advertisements, promotions, or branding activities as per CBC’s Letter of Intent.
- CBC typically allocates 2% of the total outlay of government schemes for publicity and outreach activities.
- This fund is utilized for advertisements and campaigns, ensuring a strategic and well-defined approach to public communication.
Significance of Digital Advertisement Policy, 2023:
- Adaptation to Evolving Media Landscape:
- The policy reflects CBC’s responsiveness to the changing media landscape, embracing digitalization trends in media consumption.
- Efficient Information Dissemination:
- Enables the effective delivery of citizen-centric messages through a vast digital subscriber base, leveraging technology-enabled messaging options.
- Facilitates targeted communication for increased cost efficiencies in public-oriented campaigns.
- Digital Media Dominance:
- Acknowledges the significant shift in audience media consumption patterns towards the digital space.
- Aligns with the Digital India program, contributing to the government’s efforts to engage with the population through digital and social media platforms.
- Expanding Internet Connectivity:
- Capitalizes on the substantial growth in internet connectivity in India, driven by initiatives like Digital India.
- As of March 2023, internet penetration stands at over 880 million, reflecting a substantial digital audience.
- Ubiquitous Telecom Services:
- Recognizes the widespread adoption of telecom services, with over 1172 million subscribers as of March 2023, indicating extensive reach and potential impact.
- Enhanced Targeting and Outreach:
- Leverages the digital universe’s diverse subscriber base for more targeted and impactful communication, aligning with the government’s communication goals.
- Cost-Effective Public Campaigns:
- Aims to optimize costs associated with public-oriented campaigns by harnessing the efficiency and reach offered by digital advertising platforms.
- Strategic Communication Approach:
- Demonstrates a strategic approach to public communication, utilizing digital channels to ensure timely and relevant messaging to a tech-savvy population.
-Source: The Hindu