Focus: GS-II Governance
Why in news?
- The Law Ministry has informed the Lok Sabha that it has a proposal from the Election Commission (EC) to link the Aadhaar card with the Election Photo Identity Card (EPIC) to prepare an error free electoral roll.
- In order to ensure preparation of an error free electoral roll, and to prevent duplication of entries, a proposal to amend the Representation of People’s Act 1951 to enable linking of the electoral data with the Aadhaar system has been received from the Election Commission.
- It may allow migrant labour and workers to vote even if they are away from their homes at the time of elections.
- It will also help getting rid of bogus voters.
- It will also help easy movement of voters once Aadhaar system and election data is linked.
Representation of People’s Act 1951
- The Representation of the People Act, 1951 is an act of Parliament of India to provide for the conduct of election of the Houses of Parliament and to the House or Houses of the Legislature of each State, the qualifications and disqualifications for membership of those Houses, the corrupt practices and other offences at or in connection with such elections and the decision of doubts and disputes arising out of or in connection with such elections.
- It was introduced in Parliament by law minister Dr. B.R. Ambedkar.
- The Act was enacted by the provisional parliament under Article 327 of Indian Constitution, before the first general election.
Election Commission of India (EC)
- The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering Union and State election processes in India.
- The body administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and State Legislative Assemblies in India, and the offices of the President and Vice President in the country.
- Part XV of the Indian constitution deals with elections, and establishes a commission for these matters.
- The Election Commission was established in accordance with the Constitution on 25th January 1950.
- Article 324 to 329 of the constitution deals with powers, function, tenure, eligibility, etc., of the commission and the member.