Why in news?
Europe and the United States mark 75 years since the end of World War II on 8th May 2020.
Second World War (1939-1945)
- It was the most destructive war observed by the world which started in earnest on September 1, 1939 with the attack of Poland by Nazi Germany, and concluded on September 2, 1945, with the official surrender of the last Axis nation, Japan.
- War was fought between:
- Axis nations – Nazi Germany, Facist Italy, Imperial Japan and their smaller allies
- Allied nations, led by Britain (and its Commonwealth nations), the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics and the United States of America. (Allied Nations were Victors, but in such a destructive war, nobody really wins except death and destruction).
- Two world power, the USA and USSR, arisen from World War II to instigate a Cold War with each other that would define much of the rest of the century.
- The world must draw lessons from the past and work together to beat the coronavirus pandemic.