Why in news?
- US president, Donald Trump made a statement following the missile attacks on US bases in Iran and said that, there were no causalities reported from the side of U.S.
Self-defence of Iran
- Foreign Minister Javad Zarif invoked Article 51 of the UN Charter, which allows member states to take military actions in self defence if they come under attack.
- He said Iran has taken and concluded “proportionate measures in self-defense”, which can be interpreted that Iran is now ready for de-escalation.
- Mr. Trump did well to step back and not push the Gulf region into a disastrous cycle of violence and destruction.
- The international community should now push for a diplomatic settlement of the crisis and find ways to revive the nuclear deal which could bring long term peace to the Gulf.