Bharat Biotech’s intranasal vaccine, BBV154 or Incovacc is the world’s first intranasal vaccine to be approved as a booster dose for Covid-19.
GS III: Science and Technology
Dimensions of the Article:
- About Incovacc
The nasal vaccine is a recombinant replication-deficient adenovirus vectored vaccine with a pre-fusion stabilized spike protein.
- Because the vaccine is administered through nasal spray, it eliminates the need for needles and syringes, which are currently necessary for administering all Covid-19 vaccines.
- Additionally, it will lessen the need for medical staff with shot-giving training.
- For Omicron variants that reproduce in the upper respiratory system before accessing the lungs, Incovacc is successful.
- The vaccination causes the mucosal membrane to mount an immune response while it is administered nasally.
- In the upper respiratory tract, BBV154 may develop regional antibodies that have the ability to lessen the spread of the infection.
- It can be claimed that the nasal vaccination is more likely to be effective at stopping transmission than the current generation of vaccines since it provides local immunity (in the nose where the virus initially enters).
-Source: Indian Express