Why in News?
- President of the United States of America, Donald Trump blamed the Iranian General Qassem Soleimani for terror attacks including one in Delhi.
- Soleimani, the head of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), was assassinated on 3rd January by airstrikes on Baghdad under directions from Donald Trump.
- Iran’s Ambassador to India denied the allegations by Trump, claiming that the general was a soldier and was not involved in targeting of innocents anywhere.
- Trump was referring to the car bombing of Israeli diplomat in Delhi in February 2012.
- At the time, the Delhi police Special Cell that investigated believed the Delhi attack was connected to attacks on Israeli Diplomats in Tbilisi, Georgia and Bangkok, Thailand, reportedly carried out by IRGC agents in retaliation for attacks on Iranian Nuclear Scientists.
- On 3rd January India issued a statement that expressed concern over rising tensions between U.S. and Iran, and “noted” the killing.