The Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) has gathered at Bonn, Germany, for the body’s 10th plenary.
GS III: Environment and Ecology
Dimensions of the Article:
- IPBES: Empowering Biodiversity Governance through Expert Insights
- Organizational Structure
IPBES: Empowering Biodiversity Governance through Expert Insights
- Establishment: Formed as an independent intergovernmental body in 2012.
- Objective: Deliver unbiased scientific evaluations on Earth’s biodiversity, ecosystems, and their societal benefits.
- Inspiration: Modeled after IPCC and Millennium Ecosystem Assessment.
Scientific Guidance for Policymakers
- Core Role: Furnishes policymakers with objective scientific assessments.
- Focus Areas: State of knowledge about biodiversity, ecosystems, and their human benefits.
- Tools and Methods: Offers strategies to safeguard and sustainably utilize natural assets.
Distinct Autonomy from United Nations
- Autonomy: Not affiliated with the United Nations.
- Secretariat Services: UNEP provides administrative support post 2013, upon IPBES Plenary request and UNEP Governing Council approval.
Global Membership and Inclusivity
- India’s Involvement: India is a participating member nation.
- Plenary: Governing body comprises representatives from IPBES member States, convening annually.
- Observers: States yet to join IPBES, CBD, other biodiversity-related conventions, relevant UN entities, and pertinent organizations.
- Bureau: Oversees administrative functions; headed by IPBES Chair, four Vice-Chairs, and additional officers.
- Multidisciplinary Expert Panel (MEP): Five experts from each of the five UN regions overseeing IPBES scientific and technical endeavors.
- Stakeholders: Encompasses all contributors to and users of IPBES outputs.
- Expert Groups & Taskforces: Selected experts responsible for executing IPBES assessments and other deliverables.
- Secretariat (including Technical Support Units): Ensures IPBES efficiency by supporting Plenary, Bureau, and MEP; also executes Platform’s work and administrative tasks.
-Source: The Hindu